Pressure Smart XD1900..the NEW "Sheepskin"
Bedsores, pressure sores and decubitus ulcers can develop in only 20 minutes and many take up to 6 months to heal. Use our Bed Sore Prevention products to protect those who are confined to a bed or wheelchair; before it is too late.
Merino Wool from Australia: Pressure Smart XD1900 - the new wool alternative to the Australian HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskin:
Authentic Australian Medical Sheepskins ( those with the stamp on the back) are excellent products that reduced the incidence of pressure sores in patients at the Royal Melbourne Hospital clinical trial by 58%. This was reported in the Australian Journal of Medicine in 2004.
But people who have had extensive experience with Australian HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskins agree that they do have their use issues. They vary slightly from one sheepskin to another, as do all natural products. They vary slightly in size, pile density and colour. This is largely due to the variation found in Merino sheep and to the climatic conditions in which they are farmed. Draught has been a major influence on the quality of sheepskin produced in Australia over the last 10 years.
Pressure Smart XD1900 represents the next step in pressure care solutions. HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskins have, for over a decade, provided the skin care, comfort, and sleep enhancing properties that to date only natural sheepskin can offer. During this time, man has only been able to produce artificial sheepskin with, at best, half the density of wool as compared with natural sheepskin. Until now!
After years of research and trials, wool technologists have perfected the technique of packing wool to the very high pile density of 1900 grams per square metre (gsm). This exceeds the pile density of most sheepskins and is vastly superior to standard artificial sheepskin materials which have pile densities under 500 g/square metre. With this in mind, you can start to grasp just how advanced Pressure Smart XD1900 is, and why it is so effective.
Not only does Pressure Smart XD1900 provide enhanced comfort, moisture & temperature regulation, but Pressure Smart XD1900 products can be safely washed with standard household detergents at a high temperature and dried in the dryer..
Pressure Smart XD offers the "Best of Both Worlds"
We understand that the washing procedure required for effective infection control and maintenance of natural sheepskin is not feasible for everyone. To meet different needs, especially in facilities where specialist separate washing facilities cannot be guaranteed or are not always readily available, we now offer Pressure Smart XD1900. We recommend the use of Woolskin for laundering Pressure Smart XD products because it will maintain the hand of the wool and disinfect at the same time.
With Pressure Smart XD1900, you can now take advantage of the best-in-class performance of the HiTemp Ur Medical Sheepskin, with the simple infection control procedure of synthetic materials. Pressure Smart XD1900 wool can be washed at up to 80°C in standard detergents.However, we recommend using Woolskin to disinfect and condition the wool.
Pressure Smart XD1900 can be laundered just as easily as synthetic materials and artificial sheepskins; and yet it will have the same excellent performance of the original HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskin.
Why Use Pressure Smart XD?
- FDA approved and easy to look after.
- Pressure Reducing Capabilities: Greater cushioning in pressure sensitive areas such as the heels, elbows, ankles, lower back and buttocks.
- Shear & Friction Management: Because of the wool fibres ability to contour and cushion the body, Pressure Smart XD reduces resistance to movement and friction.
- Moisture Management: Wool absorbs up to 30% of its weight in water- without feeling wet. Keeps the skin dry, a key factor in preventing ulcer development.
- Machine Wash and Dry: Easy care and longevity without losing its therapeutic properties. Machine washable to 80C for thermal disinfection and machine dry. For disinfection, we recommend washing in Woolskin: Wool Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil.
- Thermal Control Capabilities: Warm in winter and cool in summer. Wool will insulate the user from the surface they are lying or sitting on. Natural Odour Prevention: Wool is naturally anti-microbial and antibacterial.
Pressure Smart XD1900 is now available in the following products:
- Pressure Smart XD1900 Overlay M102XD: ($220.00)
24" x 36"- large enough to protect the body from the shoulders to below the buttocks
- Pressure Smart XD1900 Superior Overlay: SC104XD ($480.00)
30" x 60" - large enough to protect the whole body
- Pressure Smart XD1900 Cushion-It: M105XD($160.00)
18" x 22"- has nylon straps with velcro attachments for secure attachment to the wheelchair.
Use one for the seat and another for the back of the chair.
- Pressure Smart XD1900- Pressure Care Assist: M103XD ($140.00)
Pressure Smart Research shows conclusive Pressure Mapping evidence for effectiveness of Superior XD Overlays:
The evidence speaks for itself. Compare the pressure relief for a person lying on a Superior Pressure Smart XD with that of a normal hospital mattress in the above pressure maps..The Superior Pressure Smart XD offers significantly better pressure reduction and patient comfort.
Cushion-It Pressure Maps: Sheepskin and XD
The above pressure maps show pressure distribution of a person sitting on 4 different surfaces. Red means high pressure and pressure sore vulnerability. Green and blue indicate low pressure and pressure sore prevention. The Original HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskin Cushion-It and the new Pressure Smart XD1900 Cushion-It showed marked pressure reduction compared with the other surfaces.