Down-Under Wool began importing Australian Wool Products in 1988, with the major goal of assisting people who are confined to a bed or wheelchair. Medical sheepskins have long been used for such care but have been limited in their use because of their poor washability. In 1998, the CSIRO developed a technique for laundering and disinfecting Australian Sheepskin. This has led to a range of products which have been instrumental in reducing and even eliminating pressure sores. Clinical trials have shown their effectiveness; resulting in widespread use around the world.
Down-Under Wool imports these certified Australian Medical Sheepskins and products made from them. Their quality and comforting properties remain unsurpassed by any other sheepskin product in the current marketplace.
Down-Under Wool has also been instrumental in having Australian manufacturers produce other wool and medical sheepskin products for pressure sore prevention. These exclusive products include Merino Lambswool Wrap Booties (M161), Medical Sheepskin Boots with a Hard Sole ( M170H), Merino Lambswool Pillow Cover ( M129D), Hospital Nursing Fleece products ( F103), and Merino Footwarmers ( M160)
Down-Under Wool is the North American agent for Shear Comfort and Woolskin.
Down-Under Wool recommends :
1. Pressure sore Prevention Packages ( M104, M104XD, M120, M200, M200XD or M107): for complete body protection: BEST
These packages ( see pictures below) include one or more HiTemp Urine Resistant Sheepskins ( M102 or SC104XD) that will protect the user from the shoulders to below the buttocks or the whole body. The Pressure Care Assistant ( M103XD) is usually placed at the bottom of the bed to protect the heels and ankles; being kept in place by flaps of linen that are wrapped under the mattress. All products are urine resistant and are recommended for incontinent users. Also included is a 1.0L bottle of Woolskin for laundering these products. This is sufficient Woolskin to wash the M102 + M103XD five times.
M102 M102XD M103XD
For more information, Click: Bedsore/Pressure Sore Prevention Packages or any of the above items.
Enjoy FREE Shipping & Handling of packages in Canada and the lower US States.
UPS Overnight delivery is available to US and Canadian addresses at extra cost. Click Order Info for details.
2. New Wool Technology from Australia:
New technology has produced the Pressure Smart XD1900 product line. The feel, texture and pile density of these products is remarkable. They feel, behave and look like top quality sheepskin, but are much easier to look after than sheepskin. And, they are guaranteed for 50 washes in Woolskin.
Pressure Smart XD1900 products are made from 100% Australian Merino Wool. These wool products, with a 30mm pile, have a pile density greater than most sheepskins - up to 1900 g/square meter. The pile density of sheepskins vary significantly from one to another; most being much less than this.
All Pressure Smart XD1900 products have this extra dense 1900g/square meter pile of Merino wool with the hand or feel of natural sheepskin. Pressure Smart XD1900 products are proven to effectively redistribute pressure, reduce shear and friction and successfully wick moisture, which all work to prevent skin damage and ulceration. and are FDA approved
Pressure Smart XD1900 products offer:
- Pressure Reducing Capability: Greater cushioning in pressure sensitive areas such as the tailbone area, heels, elbows, ankles and buttocks. Creates 61% reduction in peak pressure.
- Shear and Friction Management: The wool fibers ability to contour and cushion the body reduces resistance. The Pressure Smart XD1900 surface creates a 38% reduction of shear and friction.
- Moisture Management: Wool absorbs up to 30% of its weight in water, which means that the skin is kept dry; moisture is wicked away. Wicks moisture away from the skin at nearly the rate developed in Australian Medical grade sheepskins.
- Machine Wash and dry: Easy care and remarkable longevity without loss of therapeutic action. Machine wash and dry.
- Thermal Control Capabilities: Effectively regulates body temperature and can therefore be used in summer and winter.
- Natural Odor Prevention: Wool is naturally anti-microbial and anti-bacterial.
Pressure Smart XD1900 products:
3. Superior HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskin Pad (SC104): The Superior HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskin Pad provides the ultimate in whole body protection from bedsores and pressure sores. The best parts of 3 or 4 premium grade HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskins are sewn together to produce a machine washable pad- 30" x 60". This makes them large enough to provide protection from head to heels. This product is most effective when the skin is in direct contact with the wool....24/7
A cheaper alternative is the Pressure Smart XD 1900 Superior Overlay. These are the same size ( 30" x 60"), have nearly the same amount of wool, are machine wash and machine dry- making them easier to care for than sheepskin. Urine Resistant too.
Pressure Smart XD Superior Overlays are included in our Deluxe Pressure Sore Prevention Packages.
Because these premium HiTemp UR Australian Medical Sheepskins (AS4480.1) have been tanned for urine resistance, they are the only sheepskins suitable for use by incontinent clients- all others will quickly break down. Down-Under Wool warrants that this product will maintain its properties for at least 50 washes; provided that Woolskin- the Sheepskin Shampoo & Conditioner, is used. Woolskin contains Tea Tree Oil- a natural disinfectant, fungicide and dust mite killer.
4. Wheelchair Pressure Sore Prevention Package contains:
- TWO Cushion-It Wheelchair Pads (M105): made from HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskin. Fully adjustable Velcro straps keep the Cushion-It securely in place. One Cushion-It is placed on the back of the wheelchair, the other on the seat. +
- HiTemp Wheelchair Arm Pads-pair ( M125 ): plush Medical Sheepskin under the arms of the client; provide a soft protective layer. +
- HiTemp Wheelchair Foot Plate Covers-pair(M126) protect and comfort bare feet. +
- Woolskin ( W103) : the detergent developed by the tanning industry for the cleaning, disinfection and conditioning of sheepskin.One bottle will wash this package 8 times.
To Order this package now. Click: "Order now" and receive FREE shipping
UPS Overnight delivery is available to US and Canadian addresses at extra cost.
5. Medical Sheepskin Wheelchair Pads: Australian Medical Sheepskin wheelchair pads prevent pressure sores from developing in people who use a wheelchair. These high pile density pads are Merino sheepskins- the best there is.
Available as a 16"' x 19'" Seat Pad in HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskin ( M128AS) or as a full chair pad- 18" x 36" ( M128BS) that will cover the seat and the back of the chair. Both pads are held in place by elastic straps. Machine wash in Woolskin to ensure disinfection and conditioning of the leather back of the sheepskin.
For arm protection, use Medical Sheepskin Wheelchair Arm Covers ( M125 ). Two machine washable strips of sheepskin are held on to the wheelchair arm with Velcro straps- 14" long. Wash with Woolskin.
For foot comfort and protection, use Sheepskin Foot Plate Covers- M126. Wash with Woolskin.
Click a blue Catalogue number to order.
6. Hospital Nursing Fleece Pads The Hospital Nursing Fleece offers the benefits of wool in many sizes. To produce The Hospital Nursing Fleece, wool is shorn from the sheep and knitted into a backing material; creating a surface that looks and feels like a sheepskin fleece. The premium quality very fine Merino wool in Nursing Fleece has all of the properties of wool, making it so effective. Hospital Nursing Fleece pads will reduce pressure, skin moisture and friction- the 3 major causes of pressure sores, bedsores and decubitus ulcers. All products are machine washable. Best care is provided by washing with Woolskin.
Hospital Nursing Fleeces are not limited by the size of sheep and are available in sizes suitable for a bed or wheelchair. Hospital Nursing Fleece Pads( F103A, F103B and F103C) Nursing Fleece pads protects the user with a dense Merino pile 30mm high.
Hospital Nursing Fleeces:
- F102 - 35"x 80" The Hospital Bed Nursing Fleece:
- F103A - 18" x 20" Hospital Fleece Bed Pad
- F103B - 18" x 36" Hospital Fleece Wheelchair Pad
- F103C - 30" x 60" Hospital Fleece Wheelchair Seat Pad
F103C are ideal Pet Pads; providing the benefits of wool for your pet and protection for the underlying couch or chair. These Hospital Nursing Fleeces are very durable; being machine wash and machine dry.
Order now by clicking a blue Catalogue Number
A bedsore or pressure sore can develop into a Stage 4 ulcer; like the one shown below:
You can prevent this from happening with the judicious use of Australian Medical Sheepskin products.
7. Wool Duvets and Wool Pillows
SnugSleep duvets offer the advantages of wool for a good night's sleep every night. Light, breathable and warm, these duvets add a new level of luxury. Encased in breathable 200 count percale unbleached cotton, wool provides insulation and body moisture control. For more information, click: Duvet
Snugsleep Wool Knop Pillows offer the advantages of wool and are moldable to the shape you like. These pillows will keep your neck and head dry, giving you a good nights sleep every night!. This means you will wake up refreshed and free from the stiff neck caused by body moisture evaporating from the neck area. For more information, click Pillow . To order, click: Order
8. MiniJumbuk SuperWool Underlays- T, D, Q and K: Machine Washable:
Placing a luxurious MiniJumbuk SuperWool underlay on your mattress and covering it with a fitted sheet will give you a great nights sleep- every night.
Memory foam mattresses can cause users to feel hot and sweaty while sleeping. This can be prevented by covering the mattress with a SuperWool Underlay. Available in all bed sizes. For more information and to order, click: Order Underlay
Our HiTemp UR Medical Sheepskin products and Pressure Smart XD1900 products are FDA approved for "General Hospital and Personal Use". They also have Australian Government Therapeutic Goods Administration approval (TGA) and the CE mark in Europe. All of these agencies have approved the use of these medical devices for the prevention, relief and even the healing of pressure ulcers, bedsores, pressure sores and decubitus ulcers. Bedsore, Bedsore Prevention, Medical Sheepskin and Wool-Pile products can be seen in our Catalogue. For exclusive Shear Comfort Pressure Care Products click Shear Comfort.
Use our extensive Catalogue to purchase our Australian Medical Sheepskin and Wool-Pile products.
Down-Under Wool imports only the very best Australian Sheepskin and Wool-Pile products. All products are in stock.
Use Australian Medical Sheepskin and Merino Wool products to:
- prevent and aid the healing of bed sores, pressure sores and pressure ulcers
- add comfort and enhance the total body well-being of those confined to a bed or wheelchair